Mediterranean Chicken Pitas with Bell Pepper Salad
FOR MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN PITAS:
- 4 medium chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup puréed white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Greek seasoning (recipe follows)
- 6 Sophos Grain-Free Flatbreads
- Bibb Lettuce, 6 leaves
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup cucumbers, sliced
- Hummus, for topping
- Feta, for topping
FOR GREEK SEASONING:
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
FOR MARINATED BELL PEPPER SALAD:
- 3 bell peppers, assorted colors
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Kalamta olives, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice and zest (1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Season chicken with the minced garlic, pureed onion, Greek spice mixture, and oil. Chill in the fridge for about an hour or overnight.
- Preheat grill or broil in the oven until internal temp of chicken breast is 165°F, (185°F for chicken thighs). Let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers on a platter, serve hummus on the side.
- Grill or heat pitas until they turn opaque, about 30 seconds each side.
- While chicken is resting, mix lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, mint, parsley, and oregano in a bowl to make the dressing.
- Cut red onions, scallions, bell peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers into bite sized pieces. Toss everything with the dressing and chill.
- Serve with warmed pitas for assembly.
More from: Chicken Gluten-free Main Dish Mediterranean
Leave a comment